U.S. concludes airstrike in Syria killed 2 innocent children

Image by PBS NewsHour

Image by PBS NewsHour

WASHINGTON — The U.S. military has concluded that two innocent children were likely killed during an American airstrike in Syria last year, wrapping up the first of four ongoing investigations into allegations of civilian casualties.

U.S. Central Command said the strike on November 4-5, near Harim City, targeted the al-Qaida-linked Khorasan Group. The probe concluded that two adults living near the targets were wounded.

The investigation, ordered and approved by Lt. Gen. James Terry, said there had been no indications prior to the strikes that children were present.

There are two other ongoing investigations into airstrikes in Iraq, and one more in Syria.

Other groups have estimated that far more civilians have been killed in U.S. and coalition airstrikes since operations began last August.

The post U.S. concludes airstrike in Syria killed 2 innocent children appeared first on PBS NewsHour.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s